Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Why I Love My Bad Boyfriend

Jen is always yelling at me about immigration when McCain's name comes up. It's not that I don't care....I do. I care deeply. I want the borders secured. I want people deported. But it's not my #1 issue. Jen says if I had been in Southern California with her, confronted with the damage illegal immigration was causing I wouldn't feel this way. I disagree.

Also, for all that people want to call McCain "Juan McCain" or "Amnesty John" they are missing the point or trying obfuscate it. McCain had an immigration plan that the American people roundly rejected. I also rejected it. McCain looked at that and said "Ok, lesson learned." Now he says that he understands that for the American people, securing the border comes first. It was always part of his plan, just not the centerpiece. Next priority is deporting the two million that Homeland Security says are dangerous and must go immediately. Good. Then we go after employers who break the law and hire illegal aliens. The problem will resolve itself.

So that's why the immigration thing doesn't bug me so much. I do believe he will handle it. He won't immediately deport 12 or 20 million people, but that wasn't practical anyway.

Now, let's get to my number one issue. If you have read my nonsense here, you know that sprinkled in with my fried cell phone, my yoga/gym time, my preening for SouthieBoy's attention and my love of Hersheyettes, Coca Cola, Dubai, and all things Navy...........is my absolute conviction that we are involved in an epic struggle against fanatical, hardline, Sharia-loving Islamic terrorists. you can look everywhere, not just the Presidential contenders and you would be hard pressed to find a better choice for Commander-In-Chief than John McCain. Of course John McCain has done things, said things, backed things that disappointed me. Who hasn't been disappointed at one point or another in their candidate? I am not saying he will be the perfect President....I am saying he is the best person to be CINC.

Why do I feel this way? Well first off, it's hard to explain to people who don't study things like history or keep up with foreign policy.......people who don't see the "big picture". I know that Jen does, it just must be a slightly different angle. Her trip to Southern California must have blurred her vision slightly.

Today over at CDR Salamander, the Phibian explains it better with stuff to back up his viewpoint.

Bush, McCain and the Surge
Though only mentioned in one paragraph, I put McCain in the title of this post because you have to give credit where credit is due. In the area of victory in Iraq, few if any have been more right than Sen. McCain (R-AZ). Full stop. End the discussion. Fact. Everything else is mindless politics.
*******
I am not a McCain guy, that is for sure ... but ..... this steadfastness alone would ensure that if in the end it is him against Obama or Clinton - he will get my money and vote in '08.

That second paragraph is sort of my flip side......If Romney is the nominee he will certainly have my support. I like him well enough, I just don't know what he'll do under pressure. When it comes to CINC, I want the steadfastness the Phibian speaks of. He also describes McCain as a lion.

So.........through it all...........I'm a McCain girl.

No comments: